Records and Registration
Home  >  Admissions  >  Records & Registration  >  Dropping, Adding, or Withdrawing  

Dropping, Adding, or Withdrawing

Dropping and Adding Courses

Students who wish to drop or add courses should inform the Office of Records and Registration in person and complete either a Drop/Add Form or a Withdrawal Form. Students who fail to fill out the appropriate form and merely stop attending classes will receive an “F’’ grade. After a student has registered, he or she may add courses through the first week of classes. Students have the option of adding into courses as long as they have not met twice during the day, once during the evening or weekend, and are open Permission to add after this period is granted only by the appropriate academic dean.

Withdrawing from Individual Classes

To withdraw officially from a course, students must complete a Withdrawal Form available at the Office of Records and Registration. Merely notifying the instructor is not an official withdrawal. Students need to obtain the signature of the faculty member of the class in order to receive the withdrawal designation. 

Courses officially dropped before the end of the second week of class will generate a refund of tuition only an no inclusion on the student’s permanent record and do not require the instructor’s signature.   Students who officially drop a course after the second week and before 75% of the course is completed will receive a “W’’ designation. "W" designation will not adversely affect the student's GPA. Students who do not complete the course and who do not complete the withdrawal process may receive an “F” unless there are extenuating circumstances. If extenuating circumstances prevail, the student must contact the Office of Counseling Services to be considered for the late withdrawal process.

Note to all financial aid recipients: Please contact the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from classes. Withdrawing may affect the amount of aid you were awarded or the amount of aid you can expect to receive.


Official Withdrawal from College

Students who wish to withdraw officially from the college must complete a withdrawal application form. Students may obtain the form from the Office of Counseling Services. Part-time students may obtain the form from the Office of Records and Registration. The withdrawal will be effective as of the date the student contacts the appropriate department with the request to withdraw.


If a student withdraws from college during the first two weeks of classes, a refund of tuition only will be processed and no courses or grades will be included on the student’s permanent record. If a student withdraws after the second week of classes and before 75% of the term ends, he/she will receive withdrawal designations. However, the faculty member may still assign a grade of “F’’ if he or she properly notified the student by using the Faculty Notification of Possible Failure Form. After 75% of the semester is completed, students are committed to complete the courses and receive grades. A student who fails to officially withdraw will receive a grade of “F.” The “W” designation will not be issued after 75% of the course is completed unless extenuating circumstances prevail or without approval from the faculty member. The student must contact the Office of Counseling Services to document the circumstances and begin the process for filing a late withdrawal request.